- Tim Barclay
- Property | Hotels
Tim advises clients on a range of commercial property matters, including acquisitions and disposals, commercial developments and leasing, subdivisions and syndications. He has expertise in regulatory compliance matters which are relevant to property transactions, in particular the Overseas Investment Act and New Zealand’s financial markets legislation. He is well regarded for tailoring property solutions that suit the commercial needs of his clients.
Tim also has expertise in the hotel sector and in social housing.
- Tim is named as a 'Leading Individual' in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide.
- He is also recommended in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Chambers and Partners Directory.
- Acting for NZX listed Goodman Property Trust in relation to its Christchurch property portfolio and its recent disposal programme involving aggregate sales of $150m+.
- Conducting independent due diligence for Goodman in respect of its $90m+ acquisition (off the plans) of the new Fonterra headquarters in Fanshawe St, Auckland, including reviewing and reporting on the development agreement, construction contract and ground lease structure.
- Acting for an established syndicator in respect of the purchase and syndication of significant commercial properties in Wellington, Tauranga and Auckland (aggregate purchase values over $200m), including preparation of product disclosure statements under the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013.
- Acting for TJK NZ (owner of The George Hotel) in respect of its investment in new hotels in Rotorua, Christchurch, Queenstown and Cambridge.
- Acting for the Otautahi Community Housing Trust on its leasing of Christchurch City Council's social housing portfolio (2000+ homes) and its acquisition and development programme.
- Acting for Sarin Group on hotel development projects throughout New Zealand (both as developer and tenant) including advice on branding/franchise arrangements with Hilton and Accor.
- Acting for various logistics/3PL operators on their property needs, including the development and leasing of specialist coolstore facilities.
- LLB, University of Canterbury
- Accredited Specialist within the Property Law Section of New Zealand Law Society
- Property Council of New Zealand