- Richard Smedley
- Litigation | Construction | Insurance
Richard took several years out from his university studies to travel the world finding work in a variety of fields. This experience brings him a wealth of first-hand knowledge and understanding from the non-legal world to help clients achieve practical and commercial resolution of disputes. He is also able to communicate with and understand people from all walks of life.
His legal experience covers all aspects of civil litigation including representing clients in negotiations, mediations, arbitrations, various tribunals, royal commissions and appearing in the District Court, High Court and Court of Appeal.
His areas of expertise include commercial debt collection, commercial litigation, insolvency, relationship property, construction law, private international law, the Fair Trading Act, estate litigation and protection of personal and property rights matters.
- Richard is recommended in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guides where he is noted for being 'friendly and taking the time to understand the client'.
- Advising and acting for a large commercial printer on contractual disputes and commercial debt collection.
- Advising and acting for Holcim New Zealand Limited on contractual disputes and commercial debt collection.
- Acting for New Zealand Windfarms Limited in a contractual dispute lasting nine years.
- Acting for and against liquidators and receivers.
- Acting for banks in a wide range of commercial disputes.
- Advising parties in relation to contracts using the New Zealand standard forms: NZS3910, NZS3915 and NZIA for construction and civil works.
- Advising extensively on the Construction Contracts Act 2002 including Payment Claim and Payment Schedule documentation and representing parties at adjudications.
- Acting for leading a New Zealand retailer in a prosecution by the Commerce Commission under the Fair Trading Act.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern Bank to enforce a judgment obtained in Bahrain.
- LLB, University of Canterbury
- Convener of Canterbury Westland Branch of the NZLS Litigation Committee
- Member of the New Zealand Society of Construction Law