- Nick Summerfield
- Financial Services
Nick is a financial services expert. He works with clients across the sector, and with clients in other sectors on financial services matters.
Nick advises on all areas of financial services law including investment funds (such as KiwiSaver), insurance, capital markets (with a particular focus on debt capital markets), financial advice laws, and financial service provider regulation. He also advises on the Takeovers Code and NZX Listing Rule compliance, and on dealings with regulators.
Nick has a deep understanding of the financial services industry. His clients regard him as a trusted adviser who takes the time to understand their business and provide solutions that fit. He prides himself on providing pragmatic, sensible advice that is written in plain English.
Nick brings an international perspective to his role, having practiced in Australia and the United Kingdom.
- Advising a specialist fund manager on obtaining a fund manager licence, developing its suite of documents, and establishing and offering a number of new funds.
- Advising a major trans-Tasman financial services provider on new product offerings (in both New Zealand and Australia), the transition of various funds to the Financial Markets Conduct Act regime, and other key projects.
- Acting for issuers and supervisors on more than $2.5 billion in bond issues.
- Advising a number of licensed insurers on policy drafting, distribution, advertising, and claims.
- Advising financial advisers, financial adviser groups, and others on compliance with financial advice laws, including business structuring, disclosure matters, conduct, and law reform.
- Assisting clients with formal and informal interactions with regulators (including the FMA, the Takeovers Panel, APRA, and ASIC).
- Advising offshore financial service providers on New Zealand law, including working with a large number of Australian issuers and their advisers on New Zealand offers.
- Working with a new market entrant to obtain a derivatives issuer licence and establish its business.
- Advising a leading New Zealand-owned fund manager on the establishment of its KiwiSaver scheme and the transition of its full suite of funds to the Financial Markets Conduct Act regime.
- Advising the trustee of a pension plan provided for employees of a large multi-national corporation when a significant portion of its New Zealand business was sold.
- Advising on New Zealand aspects of the Hong Kong listing of a financial services group (New Zealand being a primary operating market for the group).
- Developing and successfully implementing a debt security moratorium proposal for a large financial services business.
- Secondments to major industry participants’ in-house legal teams, including one as acting general counsel.
- Advising clients and other industry participants on law reform matters, including business impact analysis and preparing submissions.
- BCOM/ LLB, University of Canterbury