- Malcolm Hurley
- Managing Partner
- Corporate Advisory | Food & Beverage | Retail
Malcolm has extensive experience of a wide range of corporate and commercial matters. He is also the firm’s Managing Partner, and enjoys the business side of his work too. He has overseen the firm’s major expansion during the past five years.
Malcolm has advised on many significant transactions, and is appreciated by clients as a ‘deal doer’ with real commercial acumen. He also assists clients with a wide range of ‘business as usual’ commercial contracts and other work.
Malcolm has a particular interest in the retail sector, and understands well the challenges and issues faced by retailers. Many of Malcolm’s clients are in that sector, and he leads Anthony Harper’s membership of Retail NZ.
- Malcolm is recommended in the 2017 - 2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guides where clients noted him as being 'efficient and always obliging'. He is ranked as a 'Recognised Practitioner' in the 2019 and 2020 Chambers and Partners Directory.
- Malcolm was a finalist in the Managing Partner of the Year category at the 2015 - 2019 New Zealand Law Awards, winning in 2016.
- In addition, Malcolm led the Anthony Harper team which was a finalist in the Mid-Market Deal of the Year category at the 2015 - 2019 Law Awards, winning in 2015 for the sale of GFG Group.
- Advising GFG Group and its shareholders on the sale of shares and notes to Wirecard Technologies in Germany, including the exercise of drag along rights and multiple consideration types and tranches.
- Acting for Hilton Haulage in relation to the acquisition by Ngai Tahu, through the investment of new capital, of a 50% interest in the Hilton Haulage business and assets.
- Acting for Scales Corporation on the sale of its coldstorage businesses, Polarcold Stores and Whakatu Coldstores, for $151.4 million.
- Acting for Australian based Finite Group on its purchase of the business and assets of 920, a leading IT recruitment and services agency principally owned by Momentum Group, together with associated financing arrangements.
- Acting for the shareholders of Barker Fruit Processors in relation to the sale of their shares to Andros et Cie SAS, and subsequent partial re-investment and ongoing shareholder arrangements.
- Acting for EziBuy Limited and its shareholders on the demerger of Max Fashions and subsequent sale of EziBuy to Woolworths.
- Acting for Scales Corporation on its acquisition of the Longview Group, involving multiple share and asset sales.
- Acting for Scales Corporation on the demerger of its property and investment arm by way of a court approved scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for Pavlovich Coachlines on the sale of its Hamilton bus operations to Go Bus Transport.
- Advising New Zealand Dairies on the sale of its dairy processing business and assets, by international competitive tender, to Fonterra.
- Acting for Hilton Haulage on its acquisition of the Dairy Fresh milk collection logistics business.
- BCOM/LLB (HONS), University of Auckland
- 1986 (New Zealand)
- 1992 (England and Wales)