- Jullion Nelson Parker
- Senior Associate
- Intellectual Property | Privacy | Retail | Technology
Jullion advises private individuals through to large listed New Zealand companies on a broad range of commercial matters, specialising in intellectual property and technology.
Jullion brings knowledge, expertise and pragmatism to his client work, always taking into account the client’s goals and objectives and tailoring his approach appropriately. He has a deep understanding of intellectual property and related areas of law, particularly all aspects of trade mark law, copyright and consumer protection laws in New Zealand and overseas.
He also has a particular interest in privacy law, the food and beverage sector and New Zealand’s start-up community.
- Jullion is ranked as a 'Next Generation Lawyer' in the 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide where clients recommend him as 'very strong technically and practically’.
- Framing, documenting and advising on the implementation of one of New Zealand's largest online multi-retailer shopping malls.
- Advising on complex opposition, revocation and invalidity proceedings, to prevent trade mark registration of a well-known geographic region north of Auckland.
- Advising a globally recognised social media business on the processes, contracts and procedures required by the New Zealand government for technology tendering and procurement.
- Advising 'LifeLot' (a new and 'market first' technology platform to help manage end-of-life preparation), on its structure, contractual arrangements, stringent privacy and confidentiality requirements and all associated legal documentation.
- Successfully terminating a rogue New Zealand distributor that had appropriated a large US-based food manufacturing business’s intellectual property in bad faith.
- Negotiating a successful out-of-court settlement for Hilton Haulage Limited, following opposition proceedings filed against our client’s brands by Hilton Hotels Worldwide Limited.
- Defending allegations and mitigating risks and liability in relation to the inadvertent import and sale of counterfeit skin-care goods into New Zealand.
- Advising on all aspects of the development and effective implementation of a large New Zealand loyalty programme, including preparing documentation with the technology provider, preparing all customer T&Cs, formulating IP protection strategies and preparing filing trade mark applications for the new loyalty brand, advising on regulatory compliance.
- Providing complex advice to a large automotive company regarding ownership and transfer of customer data, structuring a favourable arrangement for the ownership and transfer of that data.
- Advising Independent Purchasing Company (procurement division of Subway® restaurants) in relation to brand protection and legal compliance with complex privacy and unsolicited electronic messages laws.
- Advising on and documenting cross-licensing arrangements between a technology services provider and customer, in respect of product R&D and IP development in the retail sector.
- LLB/BSC, University of Canterbury
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- International Trade mark Association (INTA)
- New Zealand Law Society