- Joey James
- Senior Associate
- Litigation | Insolvency & Corporate Recovery | Financial Services | Employment
Joey specialises in commercial litigation and advises clients in relation to various dispute resolution procedures.
He has also worked in-house at a major retail and commercial bank in London where he advised on a large regulatory investigation and customer remediation scheme.
Joey has been involved in proceedings concerning a wide range of matters including shareholder and partnership disputes, breach of confidence claims, statutory interpretation issues, debt recovery and insolvency matters. He has appeared in the District Court, High Court and Court of Appeal, having appeared as senior counsel in both the District Court and High Court.
Joey has specific experience in traffic law matters, having appeared for a range of clients on both sides of disputes (including Auckland Transport and key employees of large companies).
He also has a keen interest in sports law and has acted for high profile rugby players including several All Blacks. He advises players on national rugby contracts in addition to representing them.
- Appeared in the District Court, High Court, Court of Appeal, Employment Court, and Employment Relations Authority on a range of matters (including a number with significant media publicity).
- Prepared papers, appeared as Counsel, and successfully obtained a number of injunctions for clients including:
- Acting for a telecommunications software company in successfully obtaining a springboard injunction against three former (de facto) directors and shareholders of the company prohibiting them from contacting or soliciting clients of the company, using the company’s confidential information and holding themselves out as directors of the company.
- Acting for a building supply company in successfully obtaining Anton Piller (Search and Seizure) and interim injunction orders which were executed at a number of different premises across New Zealand.
- Acting for a custodian trustee in obtaining “gagging” orders against individuals threatening to publish defamatory statements about companies/products, which the custodian trustee had invested in.
- Acted for an officer of an unincorporated society in relation to a novel issue concerning their potential liability where the unincorporated society published an allegedly defamatory statement. Ultimately the claim against them was withdrawn.
- Acted for New Zealand’s largest credit union in a case concerning the interpretation of Friendly Societies and Credit Unions Act in relation to what services credit unions are able to provide.
- Acted for a Middle Eastern investment bank in a cross-border $35 million prejudiced shareholder/minority oppression claim.
- Defended freezing orders for a major offshore telecommunications company.
- Acted for liquidators pursuing a director who had breached their duties.
- Provided strategic advice to a range of clients, including local businesses, charitable trusts, international and well-known large businesses, and individuals.
- Represented clients in mediations.
- LLB/BCom, University of Auckland
- New Zealand Credit and Finance Institute