- Jackie Behrnes
Jackie is a specialist employment lawyer with over 18 years’ experience, including over 4 years in the United Kingdom practising as an in-house employment lawyer. She also has particular expertise in sports law.
She is skilled in all aspects of employment law, including senior executive employment issues, redundancy processes, personal grievances, disciplinary processes, employment agreements and dispute resolution.
Jackie enjoys building close working relationships with her clients and has a reputation for providing sound, pragmatic employment and sports law advice.
Jackie regularly presents at New Zealand Law Society and specialist HR conferences and seminars.
- Jackie is recommended in the 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide. She is ranked as a 'Leading Individual' in the 2020 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide.
- Acting as junior counsel in the leading case of Rooney Earthmoving Limited v McTague & Ors  NZEmpC CC 10/09 which involved the extent of the duty of fidelity and post-employment obligations of employees setting up in competition.
- Trusted advisor to a state-owned enterprise assisting in two large scale restructurings affecting over 100 employees.
- Acting as Junior Counsel in a three week Employment Court case against the Commissioner of Police which resulted in a significant award of compensation, lost wages, and legal costs to the client.
- LLB, University of Otago
- Certificate of Proficiencies in Sports Law, University of Canterbury
- 1997 (New Zealand)
- 2004 (England and Wales)
- Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA)
- Human Resources Institute of New Zealand (HRINZ)
- Institute of Directors