- Geoff Hosking
- Corporate Advisory | Cross Border Investments | Technology
Geoff is a solutions focused commercial expert who provides strategic, proactive advice and delivers commercial outcomes for his clients. He specialises in mergers, acquisitions, divestments, joint ventures, shareholder agreements, IT, IP, and venture capital.
Geoff regularly advises clients involved in capital raising projects, IPOs and takeovers, both domestically and cross-border.
He advises on strategic commercial contracts such as supply/procurement arrangements, consulting and service agreements, contract manufacturing agreements, distributorships, sales and marketing agreements, IP licensing and technology transfer, research and development agreements, sponsorship agreements, shareholder agreements, and strategic alliance agreements.
He has significant expertise in the field of information technology/intellectual property, regularly advising both providers and purchasers on all aspects of technology law, from systems integration agreements to the outsourcing of computer services; and on all aspects of IP including protection, commercialisation, transfer and enforcement.
Geoff combines his commercial experience with a deep understanding of his clients’ business drivers, tailoring his advice to meet commercial objectives.
- Geoff is recommended in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific guides. He is noted by clients as being 'pragmatic and astute'.
- Advising the Constellation Software Group (Canadian listed) on the purchase of a number of NZ software companies (Chameleon Technologies, Magic Pulse, Smartrak, Resolve Software).
- Advising a consortium of NZ and AU suppliers of aluminium componentry on a trans-Tasman joint venture.
- Advising the shareholders of early childcare operators Lollipops Educare on its restructure and sale to Evolve (NZX listed).
- Advising on the structuring of numerous Limited Partnerships for a range of commercial activities in NZ – from investing in recycling technology to the provision of specialised health care services.
- Advising an ASX listed construction firm on the structure for and buy out of a leading NZ construction firm, and drafting/negotiating SPA and Shareholders' Agreement (with call option).
- Advising an SGX listed company in relation to the sale of a $30m milk production facility, and drafting/negotiating sale and purchase agreements.
- Advising Allied Mills Pty Limited on its acquisition of Fonterra Brands (The Pastryhouse) Limited from Fonterra Brands (New Zealand) Limited and Fonterra Brands (Australia) Pty Limited.
- Advising the Trans-Tasman Commercialisation Fund in its sale of the Halo IPT technology to Qualcomm Inc (NYSE listed).
- Advising Lagardere Services Asia Pacific (France) on its acquisition of the Whitcoulls airport stores and the Duty Free Stores chain in New Zealand.
- Advising The Selwyn Foundation on a ground breaking joint venture relationship with Auckland Council (through a limited partnership structure) for the lease, maintenance, operation and development Council’s housing portfolio for the elderly in Auckland – for a term of 100 years.
- BCOM, LLB, University of Auckland