- Ed Dunphy
- Property | Construction
Ed is a highly experienced commercial property and construction solicitor.
His property experience includes acting for national and international clients on all types of commercial property matters including acquisitions and disposals, development and leasing. His commercial property clients include entities listed on the New Zealand and Australian Stock Exchange, State Owned Enterprises, developers, landlords and tenants.
Ed is considered a leading expert on Overseas Investment Act issues having been involved in a substantial number of applications, including some of the most high profile applications in recent years.
His construction experience includes acting for both principals and contractors including several of the largest construction companies in New Zealand. This gives him a thorough understanding of the commercial drivers of each of the parties involved. He has advised on projects including shopping centre developments, office and industrial building developments, road and rail projects, power station developments and brewery developments.
- Ed is named as a 'Leading Individual' in the 2016 - 2020 Legal 500 Asia Pacific guides. He is noted as being 'technically capable, responsive and commercially aware.'
- He is ranked in the 2017 - 2020 Chambers and Partners directories. They note that he 'is a highly regarded property and construction lawyer who is recommended as very practical and commercial, and good at pointing out all the issues.' He is experienced advising domestic and international clients on the full range of acquisition, sale, development and leasing matters.' Ed is also ranked as a 'Recognised Practioner' in construction law. The Directory notes that he is 'pragmatic, commercially focused, competitive on price."
- Ed was also named as a recommended lawyer for property and real estate in the 2018 Doyles Guide.
- Advising Fletcher Construction on all subcontracting, consulting, probity, property and resource management aspects on numerous PPP Projects.
- Advising a tenderer on Watercare's Central Inceptor Waste Separation Project.
- Advising a tenderer on Christchurch's Metro Sports Development.
- Advising on numerous apartment tower developments including some relating to the conversion of office towers to apartment blocks.
- Advising the Construction Sub-contractor on issues relating to the Schools 3 PPP.
- Advising the landlord on lease negotiations with a major New Zealand retailer for over 3000 square metres of retail space in the Wellington CBD.
- Advising a tenant on its lease negotiations for commercial office space in Commercial Bay.
- Advising on the development of a 6,000 unit development in Karaka including agreeing Infrastructure Agreements with Watercare to allow accelerated development and the sale of land for two schools.
- KiwiRail on all significant construction projects over the last 12 years including the upgrade of the Auckland Rail Network, and the Wellington Rail Network including advising on all station upgrade contracts, double tracking contracts, signaling and electrification projects.
- The successful contractor on the Burwood Hospital project. This was one of the first anchor projects to be let in Christchurch and we helped with an innovative tendering strategy to ensure an unfancied party was the successful tenderer.
- LLB (HONS), City University of London, UK
- 2002 (England and Wales)
- 2007 (New Zealand)