- Chris Dann
- Corporate Advisory | Logistics & Transport | Manufacturing & Exporting | Technology
Chris’s in-house experience in the UK as Corporate Legal Manager at Exel Plc, then the world’s largest logistics company, provided him with a commercially pragmatic approach and an in-depth understanding of the shipping and logistics industry. He has continued to develop this expertise and is now regarded as one of the country’s leading transport and logistics lawyers.
He has specialised expertise in the ports and transport & logistics sectors (including domestic and international procurement, supply, carriage and distribution) and in international trade.
Chris also heads Anthony Harper’s corporate advisory team and has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, governance, consumer, franchising, intellectual property and technology work.
- Chris is ranked as a Leading Individual in the 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific guides for his expertise in the transport and logistics field.
- He is also recommended in the corporate, intellectual property and technology practice areas.
- Advising Synlait Milk Limited on its 2018/19 acquisition of Talbot Forest Cheese for between $30m and $40m.
- Lead advisor to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment in relation to the domestic and international procurement of petroleum reserves for the New Zealand Government, including tendering, procurement and probity advice and documentation, tender evaluation, and contract drafting and negotiation.
- Advising Stonewood Group on all aspects of the transition of Stonewood Homes to Stonewood Group ownership and the re- establishment of the franchise, including preparing and implementing new franchise arrangements, advising on supplier arrangements.
- Advising Stonewood Group on the sale of the Christchurch franchise business and Stonewood Fire business.
- Advising CentrePort in relation to the establishment of its inland container terminal in Wanganui (a joint venture between CentrePort and Ali Arc Logistics) and on a range of services and relationship arrangements (including with KiwiRail for CentrePort’s “CentreRail” freight transportation service).
- Advising Lyttelton Port Company on a range of development, transport, logistics, relationship and procurement arrangements (including dredging works; and vessel, crane and container handling equipment procurement).
- Advising a client based in North Africa on the purchase of, and logistics arrangements for the transport from Auckland to Mozambique of, large machinery.
- Acting for a number of Ports in preparing and negotiating container terminal, depot services and stevedoring/marshalling agreements with shipping lines and other parties.
- Advising Lyttelton Port Company on Solid Energy's voluntary administration and subsequent sale process (LPC being a major service provider (and "Participant Creditor') to Solid Energy). This transaction was awarded Capital Markets Deal of the Year and New Zealand Deal of the Year
- Advising the manufacturer of Giannis Pita Bread on a range of manufacturing, distribution and merchandising arrangements, both domestic and international.
- Advising leading construction company, Naylor Love on a variety of governance and structuring matters, as well as commercial, contractual and regulatory work.
- Advising NZ’s largest construction recruitment company on a major corporate restructuring and other governance matters.
- Advising First Credit Union on a software implementation project with a leading fintech provider and arrangements with other financial services and infrastructure providers.
- Advising EBOS Group on various acquisitions, including its $1.1bn acquisition of Australian pharmaceutical distributor Symbion, together with the related OIO and other regulatory and shareholder approvals, $239m placement and rights issue, $140m debt extension and refinancing and ASX listing.
- BCA/LLB (HONS) (First Class Honours), Victoria University of Wellington
- 1999 (New Zealand)