Since 2015 we have been a finalists in the Employer of Choice category at the New Zealand Law Awards. This alone is most gratifying. To win, however, is a huge endorsement of our forward-thinking and innovative HR policies and practices. We have now won this award four times.
Our definition of “Employer of Choice” goes beyond offering a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Whilst we offer those elements, we’re prouder of our positive, inclusive work environment, exceptional people and our strong values that help to create a happy, harmonious and healthy culture.
We understand that a happy motivated team translates well into exceptional service delivery. Our clients benefit from a team that enjoys working together, communicates freely and provides excellent advice and assistance.
What makes Anthony Harper different?
We place a strong emphasis on face-to-face communication, from formal reviews to quick catch-ups over coffee, we all work to strengthen these human connections. By matching individual needs to team requirements, we foster a healthy work/life balance. For example, 19 team members work part-time, some work in job-share arrangements and others work with flexible times and locations. We acknowledge the importance of family by inviting them to join in activities held outside work hours. Our sponsorship of the Anthony Harper Pop-up Globe in Auckland and the Summer Theatre in Christchurch enables get-togethers for clients and families.
We happily reward and recognise our team’s contribution and commitment by offering meaningful benefits and trusting in their ability to act with integrity. There’s no expectation of ‘leave your jacket on your chair and your computer on’ – we encourage our people to leave when their work is done for the day.
Many of our benefits are industry leading including:
- Sick leave permanently doubled to 10 days annually – greeted with enormous enthusiasm!
- Annual leave increased to five weeks after five years – in recognition of valued service
- Annual $1000 legal services allowance – providing a helping hand when needed
- $500 wellbeing allowance – for whatever makes a positive difference to the individual
- One-off bonus leave day for meeting our financial target – sharing in our achievements.
We recognise diversity.
We’re committed to attracting and providing a safe working environment for individuals from diverse backgrounds. We believe a more inclusive team means we can more effectively meet our clients’ needs. To support this, we have rolled out unconscious bias awareness training across the firm – with 90% of the team completing the programme by year end.
Our emphasis on gender equality is of particular note. Currently:
- Of our 133 staff, 97 are women
- Eight of our 31 partners are female
- All six senior managers are women
We regularly report on gender issues and pay equity. We are a signatory to the Law Society’s Gender Equality Charter and have adopted the Gender Equitable Engagement and Instruction Policy. In 2012, we had no female partners. Since that time, most of our partner appointments have been women.
Our latest recruitment video showcases our dynamic nature and why we are proudly Employer of Choice 2019.
- Significant Increase in Liability for Air FreightSeptember 29, 2020In a year to forget for international airlines, the hits keep coming. From 28 August, air carrier liability for loss, damage or delay significantly increased. ...
- Climate change – reporting on a sleeper issueSeptember 18, 2020Earlier this week, the Government announced that mandatory climate-related financial disclosures will be introduced for large financial services entities. The announcement follows last year's consultation...
- New process, guidance and direction – a summary of recent ch...September 8, 2020Gerard Cleary looks at recent developments in the RMA field, and their likely implications for the provision of infrastructure. It is an indisputable fact...