A good adviser with wide knowledge and a can-do attitude
Michael is recommended as being 'competent, efficient and commercial' and praised for giving his 'clients confidence' in the 2016 Asia Pacific Legal 500 Directory. His work with BurgerFuel and XtendLife Natural Products is particularly noted.
Michael is also recognised in the 2017 Chambers and Partner's Directory in both his technology and intellectual property practice specialities for 'good understanding of the technology industry' where clients considered him 'responsive to short notice, ad hoc requests and the quality of his work is of a high standard'. He is noted as being 'a strong negotiator'.
He was also part of the award winning team, advising the GFG Group shareholders on their sale to Wirecard, picking up the trophy for 'Mid-size Deal of the Year' at the 2015 New Zealand Law Awards.
Chambers Asia-Pacific has selected Michael as a ranked lawyer, identifying him as one of the best lawyers in the field of Technology Media & Telecommunications.
He was recognised in the NZ Lawyer magazine's 2016 hot list as one of the country's top thirty lawyers. The list showcases those lawyers who have stood out from their peers and made a significant contribution to the country's legal landscape.
Michael leads our national Intellectual Property and Telecommunications, Media & Technology teams. He has a wealth of experience in intellectual property protection and commercialisation, software and systems development implementation and support, e-commerce business, privacy, energy, sponsorship, food regulation and product labelling.
Michael advises clients in a broad range of industries including TMT, energy, FMCG, food and beverage, liquor, retail, advertising and marketing, fashion, publishing, automotive, banking and financial services, entertainment, agriculture, horticulture, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, building, education, and health and aged care.
He works with the back-up of other specialists within the firm to provide a cohesive, flexible and responsive service to clients.
Michael is a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ) and the International Trademark Association (INTA).
Michael was recently named as a leading individual in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2017 Guide. This is the highest accolade the Guide awards and represents a lawyer who has reached the heights of their profession. Clients recommended Michael for his 'specialist strategic advice' and for being 'competent, efficient and commercial'.
Telecommunications, Media & Technology
- advising energy utilities on complex systems implementations, including SCADA control systems for hydro and geothermal generation
- acting for one of New Zealand’s largest telecommunications providers on the contractual aspects of its outsourced services
- advising a global electronics provider on the New Zealand aspects of its mobile phone application stores, online social network, and internet television
- advising a smart metering business on the deployment of its advanced metering infrastructure, including systems implementation, metering services agreements, data exchange agreements, and compliance with industry regulation
- acting for Datacol on the licensing of its electricity meter reading system to an NZ electricity retailer, and proposed software-as-a-service licensing into Kenya and Uganda
- assisting Auckland International Airport to implement Gentrack operating systems
- acting for GeoZone on all aspects of its app development business and related contracts
- advising some of New Zealand’s leading innovators, supporting and protecting businesses from the earliest stages of research collaboration to the licence and manufacture of a wide range of technology
- acting for a New Zealand based international consulting company on the implementation, maintenance and support of the Republic of the Marshall Islands’ first personal property securities register
- acting for a NYSE-listed company on its acquisition of the IP assets of a New Zealand technology company
- advising an international electronics company on the New Zealand aspects of its mobile phone application stores, ‘Social Hub’ network, and internet television
- acting for a large New Zealand retailer, negotiating and documenting its brand relationships with Rachel Hunter (Rachel, Design for Everyone), Saben (Saben Says), and Republic (Republic Home)
- advising FMCG companies on product labelling and compliance with consumer protection laws
- advising a dietary and nutritional supplements business on all aspects of its global brand protection